The present instrument was built by Richard Bower in 2013 and stands on a new gallery which occupies the space where the old organ stood. That instrument had been built for the Trinity Congregational Church in Peterborough in 1877 by Forster & Andrews and was bought for St Andrew's in 1965. As the pipework of this instrument was of good quality much of it has been incorporated into the new organ as indicated below. Careful revoicing of this pipework has ensured a successful blend with the new ranks and has produced an instrument with a wide variety of colourful timbres and an exciting tutti. The key action is mechanical and the drawstop action electric, allowing electronic control of a wide selection of playing aids and giving each player their own pre-selected combinations of sounds at the touch of a thumb or toe piston. The casework is of European oak and incorporates decoration reflecting that of the medieval screen in the church.
To listen to some recordings of the organ, click here to visit our Audio page.