Christians believe that marriage is a gift from God. In the marriage ceremony, a couple make a public declaration of lifelong commitment to love each other, come what may.

Anyone who lives in the parish or is on the electoral roll of a parish church is entitled to a Church wedding: you don't need to be a regular church-goer, or to be baptised. Since 2008 it has been possible to get married in a parish church if you have a 'qualifying connection' (eg. if your parents live in the parish in which you wish to get married, if you or your parents previously lived in the parish, or if parents or grandparents were married in the parish church). More information on this can be found here. Please speak to the vicar if you have any queries.  If you are divorced it may still be possible for you get married again in church, but you will need to speak to the vicar about your previous marriage(s).

If you are interested in getting married in St Andrew's or St Laurence's, please contact Eleanor our vicar on 01353 725948, or by email



Your Banns will be called at the parish church in which you are to be married during the main Sunday service, usually on the first three Sundays of the month before your wedding (for example, if you are getting married in July, banns will be called on the first three Sundays in June). Once the minister leading the service has read your banns, s/he will also say a prayer for you. You are welcome to come along to church for this, but you are not required to be there.

If one of you lives in another parish you must contact the priest of that parish at least three months before your wedding in order to arrange for the Banns to be read there as well. The calling of Banns is a legal requirement, and this is, therefore, most important. You will need to collect a certificate from that parish to show that the Banns have been called. The priest who is to conduct your marriage service needs to have seen this certificate before s/he can marry you. (If you both live in this parish this does not apply).

Planning your Wedding

Fees Please contact us for current rates. Please note that cheques should be made out to Soham PCC

Photographs and Video-recordings

These are permitted, but please consult the vicar. There is an additional fee of £50 for the use of a video in the church and you will need to fill in an additional form. Please note,if you decided to video the service, the fee for the organist is doubled.


Usually there would be a single pedestal of flowers in the church (except during Advent and Lent) but many brides like to decorate the church in a particular colour scheme. This can only be done by arrangement with the  regular flower arrangers. NB The use of drawing pins in church furniture is strictly forbidden.

Printed Orders of Service

Most wedding couples like to produce their own service sheets, but if you do not wish to do this the church has a large supply of hymn books which can be used by your guests. If you plan to produce your own service sheets, Eleanor our vicar will email you with a template after your first meeting with her so that you know what you need to include. We strongly recommend that you let us see a draft of the your service sheet before going to print, just to check all is as it should be.

Hymns and music

A marriage service usually includes up to three hymns. You will find a useful list of suggestions here: Eleanor our vicar will be very happy to discuss hymns and music with you when you meet with her.

More information

There are many sites which you may find useful in planning your wedding, amongst them is


Contact Us
Webpage icon Contact Us